The California Healthy Youth Act requires that comprehensive sexual health education and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevention education be taught to students at least once in middle school and once in high school, beginning no later than grade seven. Instruction and materials must be medically accurate, objective, age‐appropriate and inclusive of all students, as defined by law. The law requires that instruction and materials must encourage students to communicate with parents, guardians or other trusted adults about human sexuality.
The purpose of this instruction is to:
• Provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to protect their sexual and reproductive health from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections and from unintended pregnancy.
• Provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to develop healthy attitudes concerning adolescent growth and development, body image, gender, sexual orientation, relationships, marriage, and family.
• Promote understanding of sexuality as a normal part of human development.
• Ensure students receive integrated, comprehensive, accurate, and unbiased sexual health and HIV prevention instruction and provide educators with clear tools and guidance to accomplish that end.
• Provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to have healthy, positive, and safe relationships and behaviors.
You can find more information on the Comprehensive Sexual Health and HIV Prevention curriculum by going to the Health Connected website.
Week of Comprehensive Sexual Health Education for all 9th grade students will begin January 2nd through January 8th.
If you would like to opt your student out of the program, please send this in writing to the school office or you may email to the point of contact at your student’s school site.
YOU'RE INVITED TO TEEN TALK !
TEEN TALK CURRICULUM:
In accordance with AB 329 and the California Healthy Youth Act of 2016, the Tracy Unified School District provides Sexual Health and HIV Prevention Instruction to students in grades 7 and 9. The following dates have been scheduled with Teen Talk – Youth Health Education Program:
Middle School Virtual Parent Night:
November 16, 2023 - 5:00pm to 6:00pm
Middle School Flyer VIEW HERE
7th Grade Curriculum Implementation week:
December 4-8, 2023
High School Virtual Parent Night:
December 7, 2023 - 5:00pm to 6:00pm
High School Flyer VIEW HERE
9th Grade Curriculum Implementation week:
January 2-8, 2024
If you do not wish for your child to participate in this curriculum, please communicate this in writing, either a note or email, and give it to your student's school office.